From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Paul Morgan
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:56 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FW: IBM's RPG Strategy (was: Long Procedure Names)

Bob,

I'm more interested in writing Java code on a $500 PC that can be uploaded
and run on a 400 without change.  If that Java code runs better on my $500
PC than on a 400 then the 400 deserves a quick burial.  But it doesn't.  The
400 has got one of the best JVMs in the world.  Whoever at IBM implemented
Java on the 400 should get a medal.

Languages are tools.  Java, for many problems, is a better tool that RPG.
I've got a process (CLLE & RPGLE) that sends out a CSV file as an attachment
using SNDDST.  But this limit the file name to what is supported in a
document folder (12 chars).  It took me about a day to write a program that
will send an email with a file attachment from a directory using the
Javamail API.  Runs great on my PC.  I uploaded my code and the Javamail Jar
files to the 400.  It also ran great on the 400 and attached a file in IFS.
Sweet!  I'm still not sure how to do that with RPG (got an article from a
coworker about it).

I say "Java, java, java".

Paul

--