Interesting.  I wonder what the payback for using this instead of
F-specs is.  I guess, as Bob said, you don't have to know the filename
at compile time, until you actually open the file.  I can do this with
an EXTFILE variable though.

Of course, the file that is named by an EXTFILE variable has to match
the format of the one used at compile time.  But no matter what,
unless we are talking about XML, or some other 'internally described'
file type, you still have to know what format the data is in at
compile time.

Is there a performance boost?  Can you control how many records are
read in each disk I/O request?  This would be useful in programs that
do alot of I/O, but even for that, an override command is still
easier.