From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Alan C
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 4:53 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Record blocking optimization

Hi Tony,

The cycle is a magnificent tool, or was, in its time. :-)  One
programmer at a place I used to work took a report program that was
running about two days' time at one client site, and brought it down to
a couple of hours, just by changing it to use the cycle, on the System 38.

About the RPG cycle, if you came into the RPG world at RPG-IV, and have
not used the cycle, it would be a little much to learn it just for this.
I rarely ever use it anymore, maybe once every several hundred projects,
except for really simple straightforward reports.   In resolving this
situation, Joel's seq-only comments would probably be your best fit due
to your coming in at this time.

The cycle generates a good amount of coding for you if it's a straight
report that reads through the whole file, but if you get a little
complicated in your modifications it can get in the way. That's one of
the reasons even most programs that would fit the cycle, I don't use it,
depending.

I'm curious as to others' view on using the RPG cycle anymore, or the
value in learning it for newcomers. I'm not even that sure myself..

- Alan

>Thanks for the info.  That 'sequential only' language had me worried.
>
><snip>
>

>>That said, on first listen, this sounds like it might lend itself to the
old RPG cycle, which still works in RPG-IV, if the idea is to optimize. It's
hard to beat the cycle, though I'm sure buffering optimization would get
close.  Using primary and secondary, the compiler sets up the optimum block
size.