Dane,

First off I suggest you contact your CMS vendor.  They will be able to help you
decide how to best handle this.

To use Aldon CMS terminology:
In your scenario you'd have multiple BASE releases ( versions ) multiple DELTA
releases ( PTF levels)  for a given Application.  Every delta can have one and
only one release as its parent.  Every release can have 0 or more child DELTAs.

Application - My In-house Application Suite
  Release - Base Version 1 v1r0m0
    Release - Delta PTF level v1r1m1
      Release - Delta PTF level v1r1m2
    Release - Delta PTF Level v1r2
    Release - Delta PTF Level v1r3
  Release - Base Version 2 v2r0m0
    Release - Delta PTF level v2r1m0
    Release - Delta PTF level v2r2m0
  Release - Base Version 3 v3r1m0

One thing to keep in mind is that the DELTA releases don't usually include all
objects.  To have a working v1r1m2, you have to take all objects in v1r1m2,
v1r1m1, and the base v1r0m0.

On the other hand, the base v1r0m0 is complete by itself.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343