If the problem is just that Page is a reserved keyword, I'd just put the
prefix on the database file and leave it at that.  If for some reason you
need the data structure, I'd call it the data structure something else.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             Tom Hightower
             <tomh5480@xxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             rpg400-l-bounces@                                          cc
             midrange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: How do I use a field called
             02/11/2005 04:11          "PAGE" in a database?
             PM

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

Barbara Morris said the following on 1/26/2005 12:32 PM:
> Tom Hightower wrote:
>
>>Customer has a patient records database.  One of the fields is called
>>"PAGE" (Patient Age).
>>
>>Since "PAGE" is a reserved-field in RPG, I'm having a bit of trouble.
>>I've tried prefixing, and renaming the field in I-specs, but neither of
>>those techniques helped.
>>

> Tom, both I-spec renaming and PREFIX work for me.  Did you still get
> compiler errors using those, or did it cause some other problem?

Sorry it's taken so long to respond.

I get a compiler error with this program:

fpatmst    if   e           k disk    prefix('PATIENT.')
dpatient        e ds                  extname(patmst) qualified
  /free
    read(e) patmst patient;
    if not %error() and not %eof();
      dow not %eof();
        dsply patient.page;
        read(e) patmst patient;
      enddo;
    endif;
    *inlr = *on;
  /end-free

Here's the DDS for the file:

       A****************************************************************
       A*    PATIENT MASTER FILE
       A                                      UNIQUE
       A          R PATMSTR                   TEXT('PATIENT MASTER')
       A            PATNUM         9
       A            PAGE           3  0
       A            FNAME         20
       A            LNAME         30
       A*
       A          K PATNUM
  ****************** End of data ****************************************

Here's the compile listing:

                           S o u r c e   L i s t i n g

      1 fpatmst    if   e           k disk    prefix('PATIENT.')

      2

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
         *                               RPG name         External name

         * File name. . . . . . . . . :  PATMST           TOM/PATMST

         * Record format(s) . . . . . :  PATMSTR          PATMSTR

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
      3 dpatient        e ds                  extname(patmst) qualified

      4

      5  /free

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
         * Data structure . . . . . . :  PATIENT

         * External format  . . . . . :  PATMSTR : TOM/PATMST

         * Format text  . . . . . . . :  PATIENT MASTER

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
      6=D PATNUM                         9A

      7=D PAGE                           3P 0

      8=D FNAME                         20A

      9=D LNAME                         30A

     10=IPATMSTR

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
         * RPG record format  . . . . :  PATMSTR

         * Prefix . . . . . . . . . . :  PATIENT. : 0

         * External format  . . . . . :  PATMSTR : TOM/PATMST

         * Format text  . . . . . . . :  PATIENT MASTER

     11=I                             A    1    9  PATIENT.PATNUM

     12=I                             P   10   11 0PATIENT.PAGE

Compilation stopped. Internal failure occurred. Error code is  1.

           * * * * *   E N D   O F   C O M P I L A T I O N * * * * *

Tom