Is there a way, to detect inside of a trigger program, what program
actually triggered the trigger? I looked in the PSDS but didn't see
anything readily apparent. Positions 334-343 of psds return the name of
the trigger program itself.

A trigger is a normal program that gets called by the database manager. The PSDS won't behave differently in a trigger -- it'll still have the name of the program itself (not the name of who called it) in those positions. Just like it always does.

What I want to do is assign a trigger *AFTER *READ that will identify
inside the trigger program the program that performed the read event.

There's an entry in the Midrange.com FAQ that discusses this topic: http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/95.html

The FAQ entry is written in CL, but I converted it to RPG in an article that I wrote for my newsletter. You can find my version at the following link (requires a free "Associate" membership to the iSeries Network):
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?ID=19026

You might also consider searching the archives of the mailing list.