Sure they do Bob.  It's called Null support.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Bob Cozzi" <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/28/2005 02:59 PM
Please respond to

"'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Why RPG IV Sucks

I would expect a *MDY date value to be able to hold Jan 1, 0001 just like
*ISO does. Under the covers they are all the same date values.
So the valid date range should NOT have been restricted based on format
(this is not a RPG issue, however). Instead, the date fields, when viewed,
should issue a "Date out of range for format" but continue to be usable by
code for date math and for moving to *ISO and non-*ISO format dates.
Sure date's should have a "zero-like" value or *LOVAL equivalent, but
sadly
they don't.
-Bob