Oops... Let me rephrase that.  As far as I know, you have to use the
FORMAT name (like you said), on the LIKEREC keyword.  The filename or
format name may be used on the CHAIN, READE, etc. opcodes.  I am at
V5R3, so maybe that is the reason it works for me, but I am pretty
sure this is supposed to be the standard, to allow both on the
opcodes.

Sorry about the confusion, you caught me pre-coffee ;-)