My father was a carpenter, he told me not to go into the business. "Too much bull work." He had to have joint replacement surgery on both hips, knees and shoulders.

I've got a friend that is a welder.  His retinas are almost burned out...

I think I'll stick with programming.

Guy

date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:39:35 -0330
from: RPower@xxxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: Date field's and their file space usage.

Not mine.  I've specifically told my kids to do something in a hands on
trade and get outta computers.  There is a definite lack of skilled trades
people out there right now, and they are paying good money for them too.
Had I a choice, I'd be a woodworker by trade, but the money is better at
computers right now.  If I had my papers for welding and fabricating
tho.....  I can weld and fabricate, just don't have the time to go to
school to get the papers.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy coding, but
sometimes, I just wish I was back at my old job as a mechanic, or pursuing
my woodworking hobby as a career.  Feels nice to make something tangible,
that will most likely live on long after I'm gone.

:)

Anyone else feel like they are missing the hands on approach?

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill