Here you go:

http://idiot-dog.com/humor/y10k.html

COBOL Forever

There was once a COBOL programmer in the mid to late 1990s. For the sake of
this story, we'll call him Jack. After years of being taken for granted and
treated as a technological dinosaur by all the UNIX programmers and
Client/Server programmers and website developers, Jack was finally getting some
respect. He'd become a private consultant specializing in Year 2000
conversions. He was working short-term assignments for prestige companies,
traveling all over the world on different assignments. He was working 70 and 80
and even 90 hour weeks, but it was worth it.

Several years of this relentless, mind-numbing work had taken its toll on Jack.
He had problems sleeping and began having anxiety dreams about the Year 2000.
It had reached a point where even the thought of the year 2000 made him nearly
violent. He must have suffered some sort of breakdown, because all he could
think about was how he could avoid the year 2000 and all that came with it.

Jack decided to contact a company that specialized in cryogenics. He made a
deal to have himself frozen until March 15th, 2000. This was very expensive
process and totally automated. He was thrilled. The next thing he would know is
he'd wake up in the year 2000; after the New Year celebrations and computer
debacles; after the leap day. Nothing else to worry about except getting on
with his life.

He was put into his cryogenic receptacle, the technicians set the revive date,
he was given injections to slow his heartbeat to a bare minimum, and that was
that.

The next thing that Jack saw was an enormous and very modern room filled with
excited people. They were all shouting "I can't believe it!" and "It's a
miracle" and "He's alive!". There were cameras (unlike any he'd ever seen) and
equipment that looked like it came out of a science fiction movie.

Someone who was obviously a spokesperson for the group stepped forward. Jack
couldn't contain his enthusiasm. "It is over?" he asked. "Is 2000 already here?
Are all the millennial parties and promotions and crises all over and done
with?"

The spokesman explained that there had been a problem with the programming of
the timer on Jack's cryogenic receptacle, it hadn't been year 2000 compliant.
It was actually eight thousand years later, not the year 2000. But the
spokesman told Jack that he shouldn't get excited; someone important wanted to
speak to him.

Suddenly a wall-sized projection screen displayed the image of a man that
remarkably looked very much like Bill Gates. This man was Prime Minister of
Earth. He told Jack not to be upset. That this was a wonderful time to be
alive. That there was world peace and no more starvation. That the space
program had been reinstated and there were colonies on the moon and on Mars.
That technology had advanced to such a degree that everyone had virtual reality
interfaces which allowed them to contact anyone else on the planet, or to watch
any entertainment, or to hear any music recorded anywhere.

"That sounds terrific," said Jack. "But I'm curious. Why is everybody so
interested in *me*?"

"Well," said the Prime Minister. "The year 10000 is just around the corner, and
it says in your files that you know COBOL...."

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343
fax: 513-398-1121