From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tony Carolla
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 9:10 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Persistence

I am writing a set of modules to parse through several report text
files, and extract usable information, for assimilation into our
patient database.  Basically, there are 11 report formats, with a
distinct header at the beginning of each report, and the data can be
parsed out from these, based on which format of report you are
reading.

So I had the idea to make one subprocedure for each report format, and
then a main procedure that reads through the file, and based on what
format the report line came from, hands it to the appropriate
subprocedure.

The next hurdle is the fact that, not every report contains the
account number and the data in the same line.  You might get the
account number, then on the next line, the denial message.  What I
need to do is have some of the subprocedures 'remember' the previous
account number they have read, in case the next one doesn't have one.

As far as I know, each time a subprocedure is called, it's variables
are all initialized, so this means that, for each subprocedure, I need
a global set of variables in the main procedure that it can store
stuff in.  This just doesn't seem to go with what I believe
subprocedures were designed for.  If I want to use one of these
subprocedure in another program, I have to duplicate the global
variables from the main program.

Is there a way to make some variables in a subprocedure persistent?

--
"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."
--

Privileged and Confidential.  This e-mail, and any attachments there to, is
intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally