I was wondering about this also.

And by the way, I haven't heard a comment from Hans since J.P.'s last
dressing down of Hans in July.  Sad.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Joe Lee" <LeeJD@xxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/30/2004 02:02 PM
Please respond to

<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Long Constant Names

An interesting idea occurred to me while reading this. Would it be
possible to add constant qualified data structures? These constants
would be used and defined just like a variable qualified data structure.
So you would have something like the following.

DayOfWeek     DS                 Qualified Const
 Sunday                                 Const(1)
 Monday                                Const(2)
 Tuesday                               Const(3)
 Wednesday                          Const(4)
 Thursday                              Const(5)
 Friday                                   Const(6)
 Saturday                              Const(7)

 /Free
  Select;
   When  today = DayOfWeek.Sunday;
   When  today = DayOfWeek.Saturday;
  EndSl;
/End-Free

This would help avoid the need to have "long" constant names, at least
in the still fixed format D specs, and provide an easy and consistent
method of specifying context.

Would something like this be a "good" thing? And how hard would it be
to implement, Hans? Barbara?

Joe Lee

>>> antoine.contal@xxxxxxx 12/30/2004 08:12:34 >>>

Steve,

You're right. In fact, this double semantic load a constant has to bear
is the reason I'm talking about constant names specifically, and not
variable names in general. Generally speaking, the constant should state
both the context (e.g.,
'dayofweek', 'ErrMsg') and the value (e.g. 'monday', 'StUpd').

I'd rather put an underscore between the two parts, but if I can't have
more than 15 chars, I have to use chars sparingly.

Regards.

--
Antoine CONTAL

something else to keep in mind is that a constant will 99% of the time
be one of a set of values.
   dayofweek_monday
  dayofweek_tuesday

  statuscode_active
  statuscode_held
  statuscode_deleted

It follows that the constant name should always indicate that
relationship. What better way is there than the first half of the name
is the name of the constant set, the second half is the name of the
constant within that set? You dont have to use the underscore if you
dont want to.

-Steve

Les informations contenues dans ce message sont confidentielles et
peuvent constituer des informations privilegiees. Si vous n etes pas le
destinataire de ce message, il vous est interdit de le copier, de le
faire suivre, de le divulguer ou d en utiliser tout ou partie. Si vous
avez recu ce message par erreur, merci de le supprimer de votre systeme,
ainsi que toutes ses copies, et d en avertir immediatement l expediteur
par message de retour.
Il est impossible de garantir que les communications par messagerie
electronique arrivent en temps utile, sont securisees ou denuees de
toute erreur ou virus. En consequence, l expediteur n accepte aucune
responsabilite du fait des erreurs ou omissions qui pourraient en
resulter.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also
be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy,
forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this
message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.
E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error
or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions which arise as a result.
$!1$!