Jeff,

Regarding you suggestion of using wwAppUpdMsg instead of wwAppStateUpdFailMsg,
I feel loosing the 'state' information would decrease readability. You cannot
distinguish wwAppUpdMsg from other kinds of update failures.

IMHO, each word is important:
* App: we have both a global batch state and an application state. Updating the
global batch state can also end in error.
* State: we update both a state for error resuming and some file records.
* Upd: update operations are not the only one that can fail. Another likely
error cause is Not Found while chaining.
* Fail: to distinguish success messages and failure messages.
* Msg: indicates a message identifier. There is also a wwAppStateUpdFail, which
is a procedure return code.

Still, I like your idea of using 3-character words. It would be consistent with
the OS400. wwAppStateUpdFailMsg could become wwAppSttUpdFlrMsg (what's the
standard mnemonic for fail or failure?). That's still 17 characters.

Regards.

--
Antoine CONTAL

                                                Pour :   RPG programming on the
AS400 / iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                cc :

                                                Objet :  Re: Long Constant
Names
             jstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

             Envoyé par :

             rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

             28/12/2004 14:36

             Veuillez répondre à RPG

             programming on the AS400 /

             iSeries

I tend to agree with Michael.  Although I usually don't like names were
there are several letters that represent an entire word - like wwASUFM.  I
prefer to see names that use a 3 character mnemonic code.  Maybe something
like wwAppUpdMsg.

Just IMHO.

Jeff Stevens
Mize, Houser & Co. P.A.
913 451 1882
JStevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael Jacobsen <MJacobsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/28/2004 07:29 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Long Constant Names

Personally, I agree with the convention team.  Having a name that is too
long is just as hard to read (within the code) as a name that is too
short.  The problem I have with longer names is that I often will run out
of space in the extended factor 2 or other specifications where they are
used.  I think a good meaningful name can be created within the 15 char
limit.  Your example of wwASUFM is one that is too short.  (7 Chars)

Mike

rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 12/28/2004 05:24:52 AM:

> Hi group,
>
> I'm having an argument with the team that choose our shop's coding
> style conventions. I'd like to have your opinion on the subject.
>
> The heart of the matter lies in this kind of constant declaration:
>
> DwwAppStateUpdFailMsg...
> D                 C                   '...'
>
> The convention team says this name is too long. They want everybody
> to keep their names within the 15-character limit -- indeed, 13
> meaningful characters after you add the two-character prefix.
>
> I think this name is already on the short side. Using so many
abbreviations won't make newcomers' work any easier.   > Still, isn't it
more readable than wwASUFM for instance?

Les informations contenues dans ce message sont confidentielles et peuvent
constituer des informations privilegiees. Si vous n etes pas le destinataire de
ce message, il vous est interdit de le copier, de le faire suivre, de le
divulguer ou d en utiliser tout ou partie. Si vous avez recu ce message par
erreur, merci de le supprimer de votre systeme, ainsi que toutes ses copies, et
d en avertir immediatement l expediteur par message de retour.
Il est impossible de garantir que les communications par messagerie
electronique arrivent en temps utile, sont securisees ou denuees de toute
erreur ou virus. En consequence, l expediteur n accepte aucune responsabilite
du fait des erreurs ou omissions qui pourraient en resulter.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be
legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward,
disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error,
please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail.
E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or
virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions
which arise as a result.
$!1$!