Well, initially, I want to use java applets to allow users to select
reports/inquiries, and enter parameters.  Using JDBC, I would
dynamically use their parameters to build an SQL statement, get a
result set, and let the user scroll through a page at a time, modify
their parameters, etc.

Once I have that down, then I would like to get into calling RPG
modules from Java, to improve the reporting capabilities.

You see, right now as far as reporting goes, I am limited (in my
skillset mostly) to providing printed matter, screen displays, or web
pages.  I thought that using java applets would be a good skill to add
to my 'bag of tricks" to deliver reports and interactive inquiry
sessions.

Now that I am seeing the real strengths of Java, I am realizing that
this language can do alot more than act as delivery boy.  It will
really depend on my sales job to upper management ;-)