Hi Tony,

<snip>
Is there a better way to do this?  Can you have input fields in the
SFLCTL format?
</snip>

I don't konw about better, but...

You can simulate exfmt on multiple formats by simply wrapping an exfmt with
a write/read pairing.

So, if you have three formats displayed on a screen, and each have
input-capable fields, then you can code the following:

write  formatA
write  formatB
exfmt  formatC
read   formatB
read   formatA

So, the three formats will simply be written to the screen. It is formatC
that will have control control - only function/attention keys enabled for
formatC will be enabled by default.

Now, upon pressing Enter (or any valid command function key (CF)) the field
data for the three formats will be read back into your program. This allows
you to enter details in the fields of each format, and read them back into
your program without any trouble. You certainly don't need to use windows.

Regarding placing input fields in the control format - absolutely no
problem! The added advantage is that you only need the exfmt - it's the
control format you exfmt after all. We have several applications that do
this. As an example, we have a screen that allows us to scan cartons on a
conveyor system - the cartons are listed in a subfile, but the scanner
enters the carton ID into a field in the control format. With the use of
CHECK(ER) the carton ID is read from the control format, compared with the
cartons listed in the subfile, and added if not present...

HTH

Larry Ducie