Something to consider if you're going to depend on MD5 for a unique key.

In crypto analysis, these duplicates (or collisions) can be exploited in
what's
known as a "birthday" attack

As the article points out, SHA1 is a better hashing algorithm.  It does
however generate a larger hash (160 bits vs 128).

This just underscores Scott's point about using know routines.  The best
ones have withstood the scrutiny of experts.

MD5 is still a popular hash for file check summing.  The likely hood of a
file error generating the same hash is extremely unlikely.

Keith