Hash, molded, cut, packed..........  anyone up for a snack?  LOL.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

Chris_Bougher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/12/2004 04:08 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: Compute Hash Code

I have products that are routed to go through a predefined set of steps.
These steps are identified by three character codes. The codes are always
numeric characters. example:

productA 100 - molded, 200 - cut, 300 - packed
productB 100 - molded, 300 - packed

I need to group the products based on this routing but I only want to go
the file once. Since there is no set number of steps I thought computing a
hash was the best way to store the routing in a single field. I wont need
to "expand" this routing back to the parts.

Thanks

Chris Bougher

                      "Bob Cozzi"
                      <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx>         To:       "'RPG
programming on the AS400 / iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                  cc:
                      rpg400-l-bounces@m        Subject:  RE: Compute Hash
Code
                      idrange.com

                      12/08/2004 02:09
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      RPG programming on
                      the AS400 /
                      iSeries

That may work. What do you really need?
If you use Modulus 10, you can get a little better check-digit result.
If you only intend on keeping the "hash" and not the original data, then
the
check-digit is a good idea.

If you want a ciphered hash, then I would just calculate the 16-byte MD5
hash using the cipher MI instruction.

-Bob