Jonathan,

Correct, with RPG III there were 99 indicators shared by the RPG code, and
the display and printer files.

Older versions of RPG IV were the same.

However, as of v4r2 you can specify the INDDS(myDSName) on the f-spec for
the display and printer files.  This provides a separate set of indicators
used for specific display or printer file. These named indicators that will
be accessed through the data structure named with the keyword.  Note that
this INDARA keyword in the DDS source.

Example:
     A* DDS Source
     A                                      DSPSIZ(24 80 *DS3)
     A                                      INDARA
     A                                      CA03(03 'Exit')
     A                                      CA12(12 'Cancel')
     A                                      CA05(05 'Print')

      // RPG Source
     fmyDispf   cf   e             workstn prefix(DSPF)
     f                                     sfile(DtlSubfile:gDtlSubfRrn)
     f                                     sfile(MsgSubf:gMsgSubfRrn)
     f                                     indds(gDisplayFileControl)
     fmyPrtf    o    e             printer oflind(gPrinterOverflowed)
     f                                     usropn prefix(PRTF)
     f                                     indds(gPrinterFileControl)

     d gDisplayFileControl...
     d                 ds                  qualified
     d  exit                   3      3n
     d  printList              5      5n
     d  cancel                12     12n

     d gPrinterFileControl...
     d                 ds                  qualified
     d  bold                   3      3n
     d  underline             12     12n

      /free
         dou gDisplayFileControl.exit
              or gDisplayFileControl.cancel;
           //do something
           gPrinterFileControl.bold = *on;
           //do something else
           gPrinterFileControl.underline = *on;
           // this loop will not exit until F03 or F12 is pressed
         enddo;
      /end-free

In the above example, RPG's *IN03, *IN05, and *IN12  are _NOT_ used.
Instead, the display file's 03,05, and 12 indicators are accessed through
the corresponding names in the gDisplayFileControl data structure.
Additionally, the printer files own 03 and 12 indicators are accessed
through the gPrinterFileControl data structure.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343