Hi Douglas

The following is an example of how you could do it, although I would use
either Named Indicators or the Display Files INFDS to get away from using
the *INxx indicators for the function key.  I've assumed that *IN03 and
*IN12 are the indicators assigned to the F3 and F12 keys respectively.

 * Repeat until F3 is pressed...
C                   DoW       *IN03 = *Off

 * If F12 wasn't pressed on Screen2 then initialise the
 * display...
C                   If        *IN12 = *Off
C                   Eval      SocSecNo = *Blanks
C                   EndIf

 * Display the first screen...
C                   Exfmt     Screen1

 * If F3 not pressed (i.e. Enter was pressed) then load
 * the Screen2...
C                   If        *IN03 = *Off

 * Check the Social Security No against the file...
C     SocSecNo      Chain(E)  SocSecFile

 * If a record was found then load the screen with the details...
C                   If        %Found(SocSecFile)
C                   Eval      ScreenName = NameFromFile
C                   Eval      ScreenDOB  = DOBFromFile
C                   Eval      ScreenAddr = AddrFromFile

 * Otherwise use blanks, etc...
C                   Else
C                   Eval      ScreenName = *Blanks
C                   Eval      ScreenDOB  = *Zeros
C                   Eval      ScreenAddr = *Blanks
C                   EndIf

 * Display the second screen...
C                   Exfmt     Screen2

 * If Enter was pressed then validate the screen and update
 * the file...
C                   If        *IN03 = *Off and
C                             *IN12 = *Off
C                   Exsr      Validate

 * If no errors then update the file...
C                   If        Errors = '0'
(Work field from Validate S/R)
C                   Eval      SSNoFromFile = SocSecNo
C                   Eval      NameFromFile = ScreenName
C                   Eval      DOBFromFile  = ScreenDOB
C                   Eval      AddrFromFile = ScreenAddr

 * Perform the file output...
C                   If        %Found(SocSecFile)
C                   Update    SocSecRec
C                   Else

C                   Write     SocSecRec
C                   EndIf