rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   2. Re: API to retrieve data field contents (Rich Duzenbury)
>
>On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 11:57, Scott Klement wrote:
>
>> AFIAK, there are two ways to read a database without hardcoding the file
>> format into your RPG program:
>>
>> a) The ILE C _Ropen(), _Rread(), etc APIs work nicely from RPG. I'm
>>     using these in my FTPAPI project as part of the process of FTPing a
>>     database file.
>>
>> b) SQL allows you to read records with a variable filename/layout as well.
>>     I don't have any direct experience with this, but many people have
>>     suggested it before (This question seems to come up at least once
>>     a month on one mailing list or another.)
>
>And the third way, the original way, RPG.

Okay, might as well add the "fourth" way which can be used even in OPM CL --
QLGSORT (and potentially QLGSRTIO). The API can return single or multiple
records into program variables (the receive buffer). The trick in this case
would be to sort in a viable sequence. If necessary, the API can be set up to
return only the desired field(s).

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta