> From: Steve Richter
>
> It is hard coding.  Send an exception back to program "menu01C". No
> matter your religion that is a bad practice that does not contribute
> to bullet proof applications.

Not if you set the level programmatically at runtime, which is what I
do.  Steve, you make a LOT of assumptions about my programming which
make it pretty clear you've never really tried any of this.

> there is also the practical matter of one module in the application
> telling the AG shutdown module what has to be shutdown.   If the "in
> transit" quantity in the inventory master is changed in the
> expectation of the code at the end of the module moving that quantity
> to the "received" column, how do you tell the catch all AG exception
> handler what it needs to know to undo or complete the transaction?

First off, if you have written an application where the integrity of
your transaction is in question, AND you've designed the code in such a
way where the module has a failure point between integral updates, AND
you haven't used some sort of commitment control, then you really
shouldn't be writing code for a living.

Second, even if you have mangled the design this badly, you still have
an out.  Read on for the mutex answer...

> What if a mutex is locked so that a module can safely use an IP port?
>  How does the AG exception handler know the handle to the mutex and
> that the mutex needs to be released?

Because you've registered a closure routine with your AG handler.  What
part of this am I not explaining correctly?  The AG exception point can
call any number of registered shutdown routines.  Do you not understand
how to write code that registers and later executes callback routines?
I can show you an example if it's a problem for you.

> The problem is
> that because RPG does not have the features I mentioned I cant get as
> good results as I do with my PC work.

And that's because you don't understand that everything you can do in
one language can be done in another language, provided the language has
certain basic capabilities like ADD and IF (this is in fact a
mathematically proven theorem).  You may need to do a little work, but
it can be done.  In your mind, if a language doesn't have the exact
feature you expect, then you can't be bothered to implement that feature
yourself, and you pronounce the language deficient.  To me, that says
more about you than the language.

Joe