From: "Duane Kehoe" <dkehoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: New RPG programmers

> I have watched this thread and now I want to put in my 2 bits.  I do not
> have, and for that matter will not have for quite some time, gray hairs
> - I am only 27.  I am mostly a self taught RPG programmer with
> experience in III and IV - ILE(free and fixed format) who is constantly
> pushing other developers in the shop to use the new syntax, BIFs,
> programming style, etc with little or no luck.  I unfortunately think
> most of the, pardon the saying, "oldtimers" will simply not change.  As
> an example we have a developer here who is great with RPG but does not
> see the advantages to the newer RPG, procedures, free format, or WDSCi
> and unless forced to(read threat of being fired or IBM's removal of
> green screen and RPG III compiler) will not use them.  We constantly get
> into discussions(O.K. disagreements ;-) ) regarding this topic and
> regardless what I say does not see the advantages.  So what have I done
> - I write all new code in the new methods and only degrade myself when
> maintaining existing code.
>
> I really think the core issue here is that of change coupled with a
> level of comfort.  I think as a person gets older they are less likely
> to embrace change as they have acquired a high level of comfort over
> many years of doing things how they have, whether or not a better way
> exists.  Further, most people who are in the later 1/3 to 1/4 of their
> career simply want to get through so to speak.  They have already fought
> their battles and waged their wars why should they risk it now?  Do a
> good job, stay under the radar, do not rock the boat, and retire.
>
> Additionally, unless IBM makes serious efforts to entice
> universities/colleges/tech schools to offer RPG courses(as in give free
> training to profs, provide discounted, if not free, i5s, etc.) the only
> way RPG programming can stay alive is for companies to do the training.
> In my area there are no RPG training offering left unless you go through
> IBM, based on that how can we expect(or hope for that matter) to have
> young programmers come up with RPG skills?
>
> Do I think RPG can/will die? Not anytime soon.  Can it be denigrated and
> relegated to menial tasks because of a lack of skilled pgmrs and
> mis-perceptions?  Yes.  Do I want to see this happen?  No, I believe
> there is a correct tool for every job and for almost everything iSeries
> related RPG is that tool.  Alright I am off my soap box now.
>
> jstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Gray hair is just strting here, but I've programmed in RPG and it's
> >successors for 20 years. (S/36 to iSeries).  But I've got a BUNCH of gray
> >hairs around me, all digging in their heals about even learning ILE, let
> >alone any Java, VB, or (GASP!!) ILE Free form.
> >
> >I figure that if I keep up to date on my skills, in RPG/ILE and something
> >else (.NET, VB, 4GL, or JAVA) then I should be able to develop for quite
> >few more years.
> >
> >At-lease I hope so - sure enjoy it.

> [...]

This e-mail has been sent by a company of Bertram Group Ltd, whose registered
office is 1 Broadland Business Park, Norwich, NR7 0WF.
This message, and any attachments, are intended solely for the addressee and
may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you are not the
If you believe that you have received this email in error, please contact the
sender immediately. Opinions, conclusions and statements of intent in this
e-mail are those of the sender and will not bind a Bertram Group Ltd company
unless confirmed in writing by a director independently of this message.
Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are
free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the
recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.