From: Bob Cozzi [mailto:cozzi@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 1:30 PM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: RPGIII to get a facelift?

These are very good point.
I would add that if a company does not spend money with vendors or
contractors or have employees beyond just a couple, then they are the target
of this effort. Those people/companies don't spend money. In business if you
don't spend money (on technology in this case), there are two things that
happen:
1) Vendors try harder to get you to spend money.
2) Vendors stop calling you because you never spend any money.

Regardless of 1 or 2 above, the bottom line is nobody cares about customers
who do not spend money. That is, if you bought the machine and now you're
finished spending money, the supporting community will simply abandon you.
Why keep banging your heads against the wall trying to get a few bucks out
of a lost cause?  The only real reason to continue to ship RPGII and RPGIII
compilers for "free" to existing customers is because we don't want them to
"bad mouth" the platform.

RPGIII is obviously a great and powerful language or there wouldn't be
umpteen billion lines of code running for decades that still works today.
But the problem with the isolation that well-running systems have is that it
leads to lack of interest by supporting vendors.
If people aren't upgrades periodically, then growth stops. Without growth
you die (that is the market dies). Even in 70,000+ customers are spending
money regularly, buying things, etc. unless at least half of those other
200,000+ customers of the AS/400 platform start spending something
regularly, the market will die.
Getting people to move to RPG IV breaths new life into the market because
people spend money on consultants/contract programmers, education/training,
software tools, books, magazines, hardware, more people are engaged in lists
like this one, and the market is just more energized.

When I go to RPG World I see a couple hundred RPG programmers; when I go to
COMMON I see about a thousand RPG programmers, when I go to a user group I
see a few dozen RPG programmers.
When I go to a MS Windows developer conference for C and C++, I see between
5,000 and 10,000 developers. Certainly with what 40,000,000 Windows machines
(or more) out there, you'd expect to see thousands instead of hundreds.
But what is most interesting difference in the two activities is that
Microsoft continues to push its name and product line with Brand imaging.
IBM basically tries to get you to buy into something like a roadmap to Java.
A roadmap that looks interesting on paper and maybe goes over well during a
"Yes Boss, you're the man!" meeting at IBM, but doesn't do a thing for the
market except make things more confusing.
Look at AS/400 marketing... every time they get a new VP of Marketing for
our platform, nothing happens for a couple of year, then the "big idea" is
to change the name of the platform, then the VP of Marketing quits or gets
fired. Then the next one comes in and we repeat the scenario.  Look at the
timeline for AS/400 -> iSeries -> i5  it matches the Marketing revolving
door for AS/400 at IBM.
</End going off on a tangent!>
-Bob Cozzi