Wow. Email digest from the RPG400 list has been working hard to catch up
with all the activity. I've read part of them, and hope I'm not duplicating
solutions. If so, sorry to whoever I stumbled across.

>From a business standpoint, I want to amplify considerations that others
have begun to present.

Even though there are clever algorithms to create a sequential number out of
Canadian Postal codes, it does nothing to help ensure they are correct.

For $150 USD (down to $free), you can get a subscription to the complete
list of ACCURATE postal codes. (The chargable ones generally have multiple
types of formats, and are more recent).

So get your hands on a grubby list, or your grubby hands on a list,

Import the CSV file into a database file, with maybe CPYFRMIMPF or
something,

Do your database magic:

1)                   select a grouped set of records by city, with the Max
and Min postal codes? , or

2)                   Sort/FMTDTA/OPNQRYF/Query400 grouped output, or

3)                   Scribble your work information into the file, and have
your function cruise up/down the list of valid postal codes, or

4)                   Whatever else your business requirements heart's desire
is.

So, for $150 USD, you get some useful data, and a simple validation routine.

-------

But it was a really neat little problem to pose, and a LOT of folks put
forth some really good suggestions.