Tom Liotta wrote:

> ILE RPG Reference, Chapter 13, Control Specifications
>
> One potential additional thought... see ILE RPG Reference, Chapter 13,
> Control Specifications. There are other ways than adding H-specs to program
> source to set many/most/all(?) those options. They can generally be
> controlled externally on a job, user or even system-wide basis. By placing
> the options into the described data areas, you can choose which are active by
> compiling with different library lists for example -- different job
> descriptions, different user profiles, crtdupobj, whatever you choose to
> control it with.

Tom, you can't count on the H spec data area being picked up.  It's only
used if there isn't already an H spec in the source.

We thought of adding some H spec keyword that said "go read the data
area even though there's an H spec", but realized that if you were going
to modify the source to add that keyword, you could add a /COPY
instead.  The exact source file could just as easily be controlled by
the library list.

Having part of your application source in a data area is somewhat error
prone, just because it's not a normal thing to have source in a data
area.  (I've handled at least half a dozen calls over the years from
people who said the RPG compiler wasn't working correctly on their new
machine; it turned out they handn't realized/remembered they were using
an H spec data area on their old machine.)