Dan,

I'm thinking some sort of a shifting algorithm...

0000 0011
0000 0101
0000 1001
0001 0001
0010 0001
0100 0001
1000 0001
0000 0110
0000 1010
0001 0010
0010 0010
0100 0010

and so on....

When you get to 3 bits, 4 bits, ect.  You'd just (?) make multiple passes,
shifting one bit at a time.

Or perhaps, Shift the whole pattern:
0000 0011
0000 0110
0000 1100
<...>
0000 0101
0000 1010
0001 0100
<...>

Again, two bits is easy.  Three+ takes more thought, which I don't have time
for right now ;-)

But it is an interesting task, I'll be thinking about it at home tonight.

If you have to brute force it, you might consider running the 2-bit before
spending much time validating the 3+ bit.  You may get lucky and find the
difference only involves 2 amounts.

Charles