Well, see, that's just it.  I've done this manually numerous times in my
career.  It's just that it's a *very* monotonous task, especially when
looking at hundreds, if not thousands of detail amounts.  I would think this
is a very common problem.  Is there a name for it?

I have the detail in a file, so if there was something to try every possible
combination to see if it would add up to the total amount I'm looking for,
that's what I would use.  Brute force, if necessary, even if I have to let
it run overnight.  I'm not even sure how I would define an algorithm to do
it.