Jon Paris wrote:
> Can't remember the exact term ("constant folding" I think) but I believe the
> compiler and/or translator do some work to reduce the number/size of
> constants by commoning them up etc.  Things like having a single constant of
> '123' when the program used '123', '12', '1', '2', etc.

"Constant folding" refers to the compression of constant expressions
(like 1 + 2 - 3, "abc" + "def") into a single constant.  The RPG
compiler does fairly extensive constant folding.

The optimization of the storage used for constants that you described is
done to some extent by RPG; it may also be done by the translator.