1) Not having to update anything!

create view MASTERFILE as
   select 'LIB1', A.* from lib1/file A
    union all
  select 'LIB2', B.* from lib2/file B
    union all
  select 'LIB3', C.* from lib3/file C
...and so on.

2) Use a triger on each file to keep the master constantly up to date.

3) SQL

  update masterfile A
     set row = ( xxxx )
     where <snip>

 followed by an
  insert into masterfile A
    <snip>

The SQL option 3 offers lost of ways to handle it.  You could run the
statement once for every TRANS file, or you may be able to do them all in
one shot.

Charles