Since writing this, the strategy has changed, so I am doing the following:

1.        Read journal entries from several TRANS files (all exact same
format, different libraries) into an output file (using DSPJRN - I know,
Scott -- I should be using an API ;)
2.           Read through each journal entry, and place the record image
field (JOESD) into an externally-described DS, based on the TRANS file
(minus one field)
3.           Attempt a chain to the Master TRANS file (fields prefixed with
a 'D')
4.           Place all fields of data from the DS into the Master TRANS file
5.           Update or Write the Master TRANS file, based on the results of
the CHAIN op

I just wanted to know if there was a way to avoid step four - because there
are a lot of fields, and I want this to run fast Fast FAST.  If I avoid
prefixing the Master TRANS file fields, then the fields in the external DS
would be the same fields, right?  So after I populate the DS with the
journal image, I want to position myself to do a write or update to the
Master TRANS file, without replacing the contents of these fields.  I am
pretty sure you can't do an UPDATE after doing a SETLL, otherwise, I could
do a SETLL, then check the %EQUAL bif, and optionally update or write.

SQL is not _really_ an option, because we don't have the development LP.  I
know there is still a way to interact using SQL, but I haven't really 'gone
there' yet.

Tony Carolla

MedAmerica Billing Services, Inc.