From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Rooney, Michael P
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 9:13 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Triple-DES algorithm on AS/400

Emilio,

California law isn't the only reason.  What about any sensitive customer
data?
As a financial instituion we also have to secure customer account PIN's and
addresses.
As MikeW pointed out, securing the information over the network is one
thing. Securing
it locally is another.  Why do you suppose AS/400 passwords are stored
encrypted, yet
passed across the network (TN5250 w/o SSL) unencrypted?

Regards,

Michael Rooney
Citigroup International