> From: Jon Paris
>
> If we use the latest and greatest - even if there is no immediate
> quantifiable ROI - don't we get an ROI later when faced with new
> programming challenges?

Two different things: what I use on my own time and what I use in
production.  I absolutely will not let three different programmers use
three different technological solutions for the same problem in my shop.
If they want to play and learn, great, but if they want to change how we
do things, it has to be a management decision based on ROI.

Obviously, there is some overlap when we start implementing a new
feature, and we will have two different technologies in place as new
programs aer written, but even then, the old programs aren't rewritten
just because they're old - they're rewritten when they need some OTHER
change that justifies the effort to implement the new technology.

This is simple stuff: don't implement change for change's sake.  Play
all you want, but not in production.  Otherwise, you don't have an
application suite, you just have a big sandbox.

Joe