Questions answered in-line. VARPG is one of those products that just never really got noticed(IMHO). I think one of the biggest reasons was the large runtime. Another was the install hoops for the apps you create. A lot of questions were asked about how to install it for 50+ people and then keep them up to date. For what it does, it is a great product. Imagine being able to re-use all you RPG skills in a GUI environment. Only hurdle is event-driven -vs- top-down programming. Takes a little getting use to.

-- Scott J

Joel Cochran wrote:

Greetings all,

I am just starting to experiment with VARPG and I have a few questions:

1) Is VARPG still viable?  Is IBM still developing it?  Is anything
changing in Windows in the foreseeable future to prevent it from
working?
Yes, it is still viable. Have not heard much about it lately from IBM though. IBM seems to keep it up to date with RPGIV enhancements.

2) Can you use any database or does it have to connect to an iSeries?
'Native' i/o is only to the iSeries.  Any other DBs can be accessed via ODBC.

3) What references/resources are recommended for learning VARPG?
On-line help is a good place to start. Go thru the many samples included with it. There is a book by Bryan Meyers(sp) out there on the subject. There are also redbooks with some info on it. Only problem is that most of the books are not real up todate.
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/wdt400/library/classicTools.html

4) How does VARPG compare to ASNA's Visual RPG?
Can't help you here. What I do know is that ASNA's product does not 'directly' access the iSeries. They go thru a db gateway of theirs.

5) Is there another list for VARPG?  If not, is this the appropriate
list for VARPG questions?
The IBM newsgroup is probably the best place:

I've been aware of VARPG for a while, but I've recently becomed
interested in the possibilities, so any real-world experience, advice, points of view, and caveats would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel
http://www.rpgnext.com