Thanks for this link.  It is very informative.

I was actually trying to write a routine to go through each sub-field of
an array when the array is defined as an extname.  I was trying to write
a generic routine to which I could pass the file name which will get
referred in the extname (inputfilename).  Since this was a copy book, I
could open the source and replace the file name.   So I can do the fetch
filecursor into fileDs.  I got everything to work except, I could not
read from the data structure since I did not know the name of the
sub-fields.

I was just wondering if like in java, where we can read through
ResultSet till it ends and get all the column we need, could we do the
same thing like:

Java:
while (rs.next())
  i=1;

  // loop through every field in this record.
  for(i=1; i <= colcount; i++){
         data[i-1] = rs.getString(i);
         out.println("<TD>" + data[i-1] + "&nbsp;</TD>");
  }
}

SQLRPGLE:
 for i= 1 to %size(fileDs)
        For y=%elem(fileDs) down to 1
                <Get the fields from fileDs>
        endfor
endfor

This is not a show stopper since I can write a java code for this, but
am just curious to know if there is something out there that I can use.
Perhaps a base pointer to the ds and read *next?

Thanks,
Sudha

Sudha Ramanujan
SunGard Futures Systems