Rob,

I did a simple test and here are my codes.  Tempfile is the file that
contains data.  I pass this as a parm to clle. MyFile is the name
overridden to.  I have MyFile with different format that tempfile. At
seton lr, I have iimds blank.  The file does not get overridden. What am
I doing wrong?

The 2nd question was if I have the extname in the sqlrpgle a static,
then this does not serve my purpose.  I want the same file name passed
to be the data structure for iimds (and not hard code it to
extname(tempfile).  Is this possible?

Thanks,
Sudha

CL:
        /* file - name of file passed in  */
        pgm parm(&file)
        dcl &FILE *char len(10)
        /* over ride file name with MyFile */
        ovrdbf    file(MyFile) tofile(&FILE) ovrscope (*JOB)
        /* call sql module to see if the file name is passed for
override */
        call      testqual
        /* done                            */
        endpgm

sqlrpgle:
         * external data structure
        diimds          e ds                  extname(tempfile)
occurs(10)
        d  rrn                          10s 0

         * declare cursor from overridden file
        c/exec sql declare s1 scroll cursor for

        c+ select a.*,rrn(a) from MyFile a

        c/end-exec
         * open cursor
        c/exec sql open s1

        c/end-exec
         * fetch 10 rows from cursor into datastructure
        c/exec sql fetch from s1 for 10 rows into :iimds

        c/end-exec

         * close cursor
        c/exec sql close s1

        c/end-exec