Ron,

Not sure this is what you want, but... If you simply want to display the
field description without chopping words in half when wrapping onto a new
line - have you thought of using a continuation field and word wrap?

You can specify your DDS field as a continuation field using CNTFLD. Here
you set the field length and the maximum length of each section of the
field. This will then display the field for the length of each section,
wrapping the field and continuing it with each subsequent section at the
same starting point but one line lower. If the field is not an exact
multiple of the section length then the last section will be the length of
the remaining portion of the field.

Using word wrap will cause your text to wrap neatly to fit the words into
the sections. Your words will not be chopped in half, but wrapped to start
at the beginning of the new section. If you use this then ensure your field
is large enough to take your description + any trailing blanks caused by
wrapping. For example, if the description field is 30A then make your field
at least 40A. This would probably work for you as this will emulate your
need for placing the description into two 20A fields. I think word wrapping
is turned off if there is too much data to perform wrapping gracefully. So
you wont lose data if your description field is full, you'll just lose the
wrapping effect. Also, if I remember correctly, you need to specify the
field as input-output (both), but protect it (and remove underline) if you
want an output-only continuation field.

Example (from info centre):

The following example shows how to specify the CNTFLD keyword:

..8

00010A          R RECORD

00020A            F1            90A  B  3  4CNTFLD(30)
This field will display as three 30A fields, one stacked above the next.
Just add the WRDWRAP keyword and you're done!
Hope this helps
Cheers
Larry