From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 1:18 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: SQL embeded in RPG with passed parameters won't use indexes

He speaketh the truth about it being attached to the program.  However I
am not so sure it's at compile time versus 'first execution'.  Here's my
train of thought.  We have a change management system (Soft Landing's
Turnover).  Very often we get the warning "This program has been changed
outside of Turnover."  And almost always it's an embedded sql program that
attached the access plan to the program.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

<Rick.Chevalier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/08/2004 01:01 PM
Please respond to

<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: SQL embeded in RPG with passed parameters won't use indexes

My understanding is that it would only be created at run time if the
statement is dynamically prepared.  That's why I wasn't sure it would
apply in your case.

Having a static statement (even though it contains variables) allows the
pre-compiler to create the access plan and attach it to the program at
compile time providing a performance boost.

I'm sure there are others out there who could provide a more in depth
description.

Rick