I would humbly point out that Redbooks are just one of the "outcomes" of
an ITSO Residency.  According to IBM's website, the benefits to the
Resident are:
"ITSO residents acquire outstanding practical experience and skills growth
in new technologies, techniques, and solutions. Being an ITSO resident
offers a stimulating challenge together with the opportunity to explore,
to network, and to publish.....
During the last year, more than 1100 ITSO residents, from over 50
countries, produced more than 220 redbooks as well as other critical skill
materials in the form of workshops and presentations. They represent a
direct 85-person year investment by IBM, and a 15-person year investment
by non-IBM organizations, taking advantage of this unique program to
develop the skills and the knowledge base of their professionals."
So, the benefit is SKILLS GROWTH - i.e. "free" learning.  Also, in terms
of expenses:
"ITSO pays authorized travel and living expenses for all residents, but
does not compensate for the time or services of its residents. ITSO will
cover travel for the resident to and from the residency work location, as
well as any residency-related business travel during the residency. For
travel other than economy class, advance approval from ITSO management is
required. Housing for the residents is normally arranged by ITSO in a hotel or
apartment complex nearby in order to foster productivity and
efficiency. ITSO will cover the resident's actual living expenses with
upper limits set by IBM."
So, expenses are covered - but not earnings.  (A consideration if you work
freelance.)  See link for more information:
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/pages/redbooks?Open

Brian Parkins