Greetings!

I have started using some exception/error handling techniques (due in part
to the scolding by Mr. Tuohy in his class ;-) ), and I have run into a
slight snag.  I have specified on an input file the USROPN keyword, and
specified an INFSR(*PSSR) keyword also.  My *PSSR is straight forward (this
process runs at night, non-interactively):

       BegSR *PSSR;
       Dump(A);
       EndSR '*CANCL';

I am also using a variable (21 Alpha) for the input file.  This file
variable will be changed several times, and the file will be closed and
re-opened each time.

It's beautiful, so far.  So the catch is that I have also started using
subprocedures, instead of subroutines.  I am attempting to resolve the
ExtFile variables, and to do the closing/opening of the files entirely in a
subprocedure.  I get two compiler errors in attempting this, as follows:

RNF5416 The subprocedure calculation specification refers to a file that has
the INFSR keyword specified.

RNF7062 There is no OPEN for a file that specifies user-controlled open; the
File specification is ignored.

The first thing I ran into was that the EXTFILE variable must be declared in
the main procedure's D specs (makes sense), but I don't understand what the
above 5416 error is telling me.  Can I not do an OPEN on a file within a
subprocedure?  And do I need to trick the 7062 error by putting a dummy
'OPEN' op in the main procedure.

My goal is to write non-tricky, non-complex stuff where it's unnecessary.
What gives?

Tony Carolla
MedAmerica Billing Services, Inc.