> Hmm.  Longer than what?  Transform(*NO), but you convert the data to
> ASCII?  One small problem, you can't read any of the report data while
> it's in the output queue.  Most folks can't read PS anyway, I suppose.
> >From a debugging standpoint, I sure like being able to simply view the
> PS code with WRKSPLF.

Longer than using DEVTYPE(*USERASCII) and writing the raw data that gets
sent out to the printer directly from your RPG program.  In that case,
absolutely no translation is done (not even EBCDIC->ASCII) it's merely
sent to the printer as-is.

But, as you say, I can't see anything in the spooler at all.. not even the
raw postscript code.  I can, however, use APIs to view the data if I
really want to -- it's the kind of thing that I'd do :)  But, I don't
really need to because I'm just copying a stream file as-is to the
printer, so I can always look at the stream file to see the raw data.

> Perhaps the thing to do is build a custom *WSCST...

As I said in the first reply, QPWDEFAULT is actually a really good
solution.  Sure, you could create your own, especially if you had special
transformations that you needed to do -- but I do think it's a good idea.