From: rpg400-l-bounces+lim.hock-chai=arch.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces+lim.hock-chai=arch.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Frances Denoncourt
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 11:46 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Recreate SvcPgm no change QSrvSrc - signature same

I've created a date service program with several procedures and found the need
for a  few more procedures specific to our applications.
Everything was OK until I realized I actually had one program in production
using that service program. Using signatures I figured I was OK until it dawned
on me that while I was working in QSrvSrc (forgetting the one production
program), I decided to clean up the binder source for P$Dates. What the heck, I
was still playing in test.  When the realiziation that there was a program in
production hit, I ran a test on the development box and sure enough I had a
signature violation. OK, that's fixed.

I'm still adding procedures and cleaning them up a bit after reading and
re-reading stuff here in the archives. We are still at v4r5 and can't use ALL
of the cool stuff, but this is this shop's first shot at service programs. We
are the proud owners of 1.5 ILE apps that use them. The rest are all converted
programs  running in the default act grp. Along with what I learned at other
shops and what I've been getting from this gold mine, it seems to be coming
together. Those activation groups were freaking me out for a while, but they
might be under control now.

Now, the question - if I haven't forgotten where I was.
I made yet another change with P$Date but didn't change the binder source
(*Current to *Prv) because there was no need. Figured, well, I AM still testing
and will be recompiling the new RPGLE pgms that call it. Why bother? Checked
the signatures before and after re-creating the service program. Hmmph...that
current signature didn't change. The previous still matches the program that
needs to go back into producion. I read it four times to be sure (I'm thinking
seriously of giving them my own names, now). If the signature is generated when
the service program is created, why didn't it create a new signature for
*Current?

Fran Denoncourt
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Pinal County Treasurer's Office