Hans,
>> Actually, I find it strange that your shop standards would disallow
>> free-form calcs but allow other even more recent functionality like
>> fully qualified names. If you want to fully take advantage of deeply
>> nested data structures, it would seem that free-form calcs is pretty
>> much a co-requisite. You might want to reconsider your shop coding
>> standards one way or the other. That is, either allow free-form calcs or
>> also disallow defining subfields with LIKEDS or LIKEREC.

I agree with your comments on KLISTs, however the above statement I think is
unfounded. Certainly if you are using Nested Data Structures you may
(emphasis on "may") need more room and hence, free-form could be a better
choice. However with the new += math operations, even that isn't as serious
an issue anymore.
In my view, qualified data structures is the single most important and
useful feature in RPG IV since subprocedures, limiting it to free-form is
just not thinkable to me. While I use all three versions of RPGIV Calc
specs, I tend to mostly code using EVAL and IF (not /FREE versions) have had
Zero problems with qualified data structures.
What I have had difficulty with is the limitation on the Simply Qualified
Names when used implicitly with the PREFIX('MYDS.') keyword on the File
spec. The limitation of the input field names of 14 positions on that
specification all be eliminate the usefulness of that powerful feature. In
fact, I was flabbergasted that I had to limit the data structure name to
(effectively) 3 or 4 characters in order to support the PREFIX keyword for
qualified data structures on the File spec.

On QUALIFIED data structures I have two PTF suggestions:
1) Since a DS that contains the LIKEDS key has an implied QUALIFIED keyword,
also implied QUALIFIED when a data structure as array is declared using the
DIM keyword. This is one of the most confusing aspects of that feature.
2) Please consider shortening the name of QUALIFIED to QUAL, I type in Q U A
L and get bored. <tic>

-Bob Cozzi