Thanks, Buck.

Yeah, the interactive ILE RPG program called the ILE CLP program.  Then the ILE
CLP program then submitted itself with the same parameters to a batch
subsystem.

Once the ILE CLP program was running in batch, it called several ILE RPG
programs with the same paramters.

I was getting "Null values in ifs directory name" errors... now I understand
that the problem occurred when I resubmitted the CLP with the 100-char parm via
SBMJOB.

(Now all I do is copy the 100-char parm into a 101-char field with the last
character of "*", then use the 101-char field as the parameter when submitting
itself.  Now, only if CL could get away from the 15p5 decimal field issues...
;-)

Thanks again!

William

date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:42:29 -0400
from: "Buck Calabro"
subject: Re: Passing parms of len(100) type(*char) from ILE RPG to ILE
CL to ILERPG

William wrote:
> I keep getting garbage data in my character
> parameters when I pass them from ILE RPG
> to ILE CL to ILE RPG.

If the parameter size/type matches the argument size/type you can pass
any size variable (within the limits of the programming language)
between any languages. Most often, garbage in the parameter means you
are calling the program from the command line (which includes SBMJOB
and QCMDEXC.) See the FAQ at http://faq.midrange.com Search for
'garbage'.
--buck