You're working backwards from your conclusion to your facts, Paul.

On a CHAIN, and using EITHER the %FOUND or an *IN..  It's either *ON or
*OFF.  It is NOT left unchanged under any circumstances (unless I'm very
sadly mistaken, which is slightly possible in this case).  And the position
of the file pointer after an unsuccessful CHAIN??  Dunno, but it SURE
doesn't have ANYthing to do with the KNOWN STATE of either %FOUND or the
*IN.

Frankly, Paul, I believe if Hans or Barbara or any number of other people
were saying the Exact Same Thing I've been saying here..  Well I believe
you'd be agreeing with them quicker 'n anything.  I think it's because I
disagreed with your post early on, why you're not seeing the blatant
inconsistencies inherent with the usage of BIF, as it is currently defined.