Well, unfortunately IBM does not do one single bit of RPG application
development, I would add.  So they would not appreciate the advantages of
NOT using a SETLL/READE, not one single bit.  Unless this list brought it to
their attention, and this list is more interested in turning RPG into a
clone of C and/or Java, unfortunately.

Jon Paris and I exchanged views on this subject over on M-L last year, and
the fact of the matter remains that this list is a subset of <1000 people
with a given orientation.  And, again unfortunately, there are (according to
figures from Mr. Zollar) roughly 299,000 RPGers that have a largely
different orientation than becoming C and Java gearheads.

Tough set of unintended consequences, that one.