I guess my only question to you is have you tried to parse XML in both RPG
and in Java/.NET?  The reason I ask is that I have never heard the comment
you made come from somebody who has used XML in both environments.

<Ed>
Everyone that things that XML is HipHop forgets that it is only a
clumsy way of being able to communicate Relational Data in an
sequential way.
</Ed>

I think you are unfairly calling XML "clumsy" when in all actuality it is so
powerful that it can adhere to almost any situation as far as data transport
and config files go.  I would maybe replace "clumsy" with 'flexible'.  Can
flexible create problems . . . oh yeah!  Try to get people to agree on the
same XML Schema :-)  But that will get better as time goes on.

>and makes the data to be send at least 10 times larger.
I think we can become less and less concerned about the size of XML.  Think
of how much data goes across the line when you bring up hotmail.com, or even
google.com (18KB and 4KB respectively not including images).  I am not
saying completely dismiss it, but way to much emphasis is put on it; we are
not programming in the 80's over dialup.  I would be more concerned about
how many different web servers I hit in a corporate environment before I get
my result, over how big my file is.  A lot has to do with how you design
your transactions (i.e. you wouldn't create a web service that returned a
file containing 10,000 records with each field encapsulated in its own open
and close tag)

Maybe if you could give us some more meat to why your opinions are as they
are??

Aaron Bartell