Joep Beckeringh wrote:

> Personally I never use 'like' in a prototype. The prototype is the interface
> 'the outside world' and should be clear and unambiguous about the data types
> the
> program or procedure expects.

I think LIKE is good in a prototype, but only if the thing being
defined-like is also in the same /copy file.

 * For copy file XYZ
D XYZ_TYPES        DS           QUALIFIED BASED(@)
D   name                 10a
D   idno                  5i 0

D XYZ_myfile_types...
D                E DS           QUALIFIED BASED(@)

D XYZ_something    DS           QUALIFIED BASED(@)
D   fld1                100a
D   arr                   1n    dim(3)

D someproc         PR           LIKE(XYZ_TYPES.name)
D   parm1                       LIKE(XYZ_TYPES.idno)
D   parm2                       LIKEDS(XYZ_something)
D   parm3                       LIKE(XYZ_myfile_types.fld1)

Then the user can also use LIKE and LIKEDS to define variables that will
work with the prototypes.

By the way, whenever dates or times are defined in a /COPY file, DATFMT
or TIMFMT should always be used.