Thank you, Joe.

I haven't had a chance to check the link.  I wuz more familiar with UCS-2
than either UTF-8 or UCS-4.

"UTF-8 was designed to transport UCS data from one machine to another with
the ability to resync after dropping a character.  In order to do that, some
fancy bit-packing is done..."  Ah, Rube Golberg must-a expanded the scope of
the project to include data-compression/validation, it appears...;-D

"Base Multilingual Plane..."  This the same as "Base64" in XML-speak??

"UTF-16. ... This encoding gets REALLY bizarre REALLY quick, because there
are issues of byte order."  Luckily a 400 is both big-endian and li'l-endian
(unless this is a different issue)...!

"It gets VERY complicated, but the semi-short version is that Unicode
supports up to 1.1 million code points."  This goes back to my original
question, which is is there a NEED for 1.1 million code points??  I'm
somewhat familiar with Katakana, ancient hieroglyphs of various kinds and
such.  But I don't see where these would require anything close to 1.1
million "code points"?  (So not saying there isn't a need, but just don't
see what it would be.)  Is "code point" not synonomous with character/glyph
representation??  Is the problem with glyph representations?

:
: