Vivienne - here are some samples that might help.
The 1st draws a box then put data in it, starting in column "1.80"
Font 2305 is Helvetica (not in this example, but Font 11 is our standard
fixed pitch Courier which should give proper alignment without all this
"position" stuff.
So if they really want Ariel, the use position to create all your columns.

A good read is the Printer Programming book which is in the Info Center
under Supplementary Manuals. It has an index of the fonts ( and not
all work on all printers).
In the 2nd example, I created a print file
just to see how various dds keywords & parms work.
hth - jim

1.
A* DRAW A BOX WITH DATA INSIDE (WHO TO CONTACT)
A* UPPER LEFT CORNER X.XX FROM TOP         0.50
A* UPPER LEFT CORNER X.XX FROM LEFT SIDE        1.70
A* BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER X.XX FROM TOP                 2.60
A* BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER X.XX FROM LEFT SIDE                4.15
A* POSITION 0.66 FROM TOP 1.80 FROM LEFT SIDE
A          R RRBOXADV1                 BOX(0.50 1.70 2.60 4.15 *WIDE)
A                                      FONT(2304 (*POINTSIZE 9))
A          R RRBOXADV1A
A                                      FONT(2305 (*POINTSIZE 9))
A            @ADVSRV11     40          POSITION(0.66 1.80)
A            @ADVSRV12     40          POSITION(0.90 1.80)
A            @ADVSRV13     40          POSITION(1.14 1.80)
A            @ADVSRV14     40          POSITION(1.38 1.80)  .......

2. sample to see various keywords & parms - need an rpg to write each format
A***************************************************************
A* SPECIAL COMPILE INSTRUCTIONS
A* CRTPRTF FILE(JFTESTP) SRCFILE(QDDSSRC) DEVTYPE(*AFPDS)
A***************************************************************
A          R $PRT01                    FONT(11)
A                                      SKIPB(3)
A                                     1'Font 11 Courier'
A                                    33'Request for Notice to '
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A            @ROTAT        30        10TXTRTT(180)
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT02                    FONT(18)
A                                     1'Font 18 Courier Italic'
A                                    33'Request for Notice to '
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT03                    FONT(46)
A                                     1'Font 46 Courier Bold'
A                                    33'Request for Notice to '
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT04                    FONT(75)
A                                     1'Font 75 Courier 12 pitch'
A                                    55'Owner'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT05                    FONT(223)
A                                     1'Font 223 Courier'
A            @051           7  2     74EDTCDE(J)
A            @052           7  2     67EDTCDE(J)
A            @053           7  2     59EDTCDE(J)
A            @054           7  2     52EDTCDE(J)
A            @055           7  2     45EDTCDE(J)
A            @056           7  2     39EDTCDE(J)
A            @057           7  3     34EDTCDE(J)
A***                                 55'Owner'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT06                    FONT(244)
A                                     1'Font 244 Courier double'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT07                    FONT(245)
A                                     1'Font 245 Courier'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT08                    FONT(420)
A                                     1'Font 420 Courier'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT09                    FONT(416)
A                                      CHRSIZ(1 1)
A                                     1'Font 416 Courier'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT10                    FONT(2304)
A                                      CHRSIZ(1 1)
A                                     1'Font 2304 HELVETICA char size 1'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT11A                   FONT(2304 (*POINTSIZE 5))
A                                     1'Font 2304 HELVETICA 5 point'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT11B                   FONT(2304 (*POINTSIZE 6))
A                                     1'Font 2304 HELVETICA 6 point'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT11C                   FONT(2304 (*POINTSIZE 7))
A                                     1'Font 2304 HELVETICA 7 point'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT11D                   FONT(2304 (*POINTSIZE 8))
A                                     1'Font 2304 HELVETICA 8 point'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT11E                   FONT(2304 (*POINTSIZE 9))
A                                     1'Font 2304 HELVETICA 9 point'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT11F                   FONT(2304 (*POINTSIZE 10))
A                                     1'Font 2304 HELVETICA 10 point'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT12A                   FONT(2304 (*POINTSIZE 11))
A                                     1'Font 2304 HELVETICA 11 point'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A          R $PRT12B                   FONT(2304 (*POINTSIZE 12))
A                                     1'Font 2304 HELVETICA 12 point'
A                                      SPACEA(3)
A<clip>
A          R $BOXA                     BOX(1.0 3.0 3.0 6.0 *NARROW)
A          R $BOXB                     BOX(4.0 3.0 5.5 6.0 *MEDIUM)
A          R $BOXC                     BOX(6.0 3.0 7.0 6.0 *WIDE)