Stephen,

If you want to do that, please use prototypec ONLY for the few programs that encounter the compile time limitation/bug. For all others, stick with prototypeb.

I don't think you should change anything in the implementation (member XXXCGIPARS).

If you use ZhbGetVarUpper as often as ZhbGetVar, you might want to change its prototype in PROTOTYPEC to return 100 varying bytes too.

I can't think of anything else in PROTOTYPEC you would want to change.

If I were in you, I would leave CGIDEV2 alone, continue to use PROTOTYPEB, use my second wrapper subprocedure in those programs that need it, and pursue the problem with IBM service.

Finally, if it is possible to restructure your program to call ZhbGetVar in a loop, or in a small number of loops, assigning its output to array elements, you might be able to avoid the limitation/bug entirely.

Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
Mel Rothman, Inc.

Stephen D. Engel wrote:
Mel,

Could I just copy PROTOTYPEB, calling it PROTOTYPEC, and change this
statement from

D ZhbGetVar pr 32767 varying

D ZhbGetVar pr 100 varying

The 100 would reflect the largest field size coming from the browser
form.

I have changed my program to use this modified version.  The program
compiles fine and testing so far has not yet revealed any issues.

Would/should there be any other statements changed in PROTOTYPEC to
support the length change?  I don't have a complete grasp of these
techniques but this appears to be an option.

If this is an OK alternative, I would have to remember to apply any
changes to PROTOTYPEC whenever PROTOTYPEB changes.

Steve